DONALD BARRATT 1889–1973
Brother of Joseph
Born 20th December 1889 in Radcliffe on Trent
Married on 29th December 1911 to Esther Ann Wright at Radcliffe on Trent Methodist Church. Esther was a milliner living at The Green.
Two daughters, Florence born October 29th 1912, baptised December 25th 1912, Gladys born April 9th 1920, baptised May 16th 1920, son Aubrey born 17th November 1929.
Died June 1973, Bingham district age 83.
Family living in Radcliffe on Trent. Donald was the third child of Thomas and Florence Barratt; brother Joseph born 1885 and sister Violet born 1887. Father a leather dresser, also born in Radcliffe.
Radcliffe on Trent School Register
Admitted to Radcliffe school, May 11th 1896
Family was now living in St James St, Nottingham. Donald was at school living with parents, and siblings Joseph, Violet, Marguerite born 1894 and Beryl born 1898. Father was a ‘curer leather’ and mother a restaurant helper. Live in servant and a lodger.
Family had returned to Radcliffe on Trent and were living in a 7 room house in Lorne Grove. Now have six children including Bessie born 1908. Thomas was a boot maker, Donald was a boot maker and dealer.
Service Number: 149274 (MGC)
Military Unit: 24th Machine Gun Company, Machine Gun Corps, 8th Division. Formerly 25409, North Staffordshire Regiment, previously 15136 Royal Sussex Regiment.
Theatre of War: France and Flanders
Medals Awarded: British War and Victory
Military Personnel Address on 1918 Electoral Register
Hogg Lane, Radcliffe on Trent
Wrights Directories: father Thomas, boot maker on 1910, boot maker and resident in Lorne Grove 1913-1914 and 1915, resident only in 1920.
Wrights Directory 1920. Donald Barratt, boot maker.
From the 1922 Electoral Register
Address: Hogg Lane, Radcliffe on Trent
Head of household: Donald Barratt.
From the 1939 Register
Address: ‘Jesamine Villa’ Hogg Lane, Radcliffe on Trent
Occupation: Shoe Maker
Household: living with wife Esther, son Aubrey and one other person.
Reasons for inclusion on Radcliffe on Trent Roll of Honour
Born, lived and worked in Radcliffe on Trent