Radcliffe on Trent is the home of Rockley Memorial Park, dedicated to local men who died in the Great War. Mr. Lisle Rockley, whose son William was killed at Ypres in 1917, bought the land in the 1920s, created the park and adjacent cliff walk then presented the site to the village in 1927. The glorious park can be ranked among Britain’s outstanding war memorials.
Rockley Memorial Park offers its visitors a magnificent array of plants and shrubs, including rhododendron, azalea and winter jasmine. Majestic trees tower over the landscaped lawns: cedars, conifers and copper beech, being among them.
An oval path circling the central lawns has two exits leading to the Cliff Walk, which in turn leads to the cliffs beneath and River Trent. The wide paths make it easily accessible for buggies, wheelchairs and mobility scooters.
Click here to read the history of Rockley Memorial Park
Click here to read about William Rockley
Click here to read about Rockley Memorial Park Commemorative events, October 2017
Directions: From Radcliffe on Trent village centre: turn at the mini roundabout by the Co-op store and travel up Shelford Road towards Shelford. The main entrance is from Park Road, which is 5th on the left of Shelford Road, after crossing the railway bridge. There is no car park – please have consideration for local residents when parking in side streets. The park is open in daylight hours and entrance is free.