Radcliffe on Trent Walks 1914
These walks show what Radcliffe looked like in the months running up to the outbreak of the Great War. What was it like to live in Radcliffe during this time?
As we travel back to 1914 through this series of walks, we notice that there were many large fine houses, several butchers, bakers and grocers shops and a post office, but no supermarkets or council houses. The lady of the house could do most of her shopping in the village and children would have gone to the local school. The blacksmith still plied his trade, the butchers still slaughtered their own livestock on the premises and several men were still employed in agriculture. The church was a prominent feature in everyone’s lives. The Church of England, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodists and Catholic Church were all here in Radcliffe. But even before the outbreak of war in August 1914, the old order in Radcliffe was beginning to change. The hold of the Manvers estate was still felt through the person of the 4th Earl but some of his land was being sold off. Some long standing local families had gone too.
The three walks show where houses, pubs and shops were located and where some of our 370 Radcliffe men who served in the first world war were living in 1914. Homes of some women who served as Voluntary Aid Detachment members with the Red Cross are also noted. Some properties have since been demolished but many others are still in place. Today, descendants of families whose sons went to war are still to be found in the village.
Author: Marion Caunt
Graphic Design: Nigel Cook
Maps: Val Cook