WILLIAM WILLATT 1890–1945
Born 6th December 1890 in Papplewick, Notts.
Married on 27th October 1915 to Edith Annie Hodgkinson at the Primitive Methodist Church, Hucknall Torkard.
Died 6th June 1945 at City Hospital, Nottingham.
William was age ten and living at Papplewick with his father Edward Job Willatt, mother Annie, maiden name Allcock, three sisters, Ellen (b.1888), Rose (b.1899), Jessie (b.1901), and brother Job (b. 1894). His father was a farm waggoner.
William was living at Holme Pierrepont, Notts., with parents, two brothers, Job and Frederick, and two sisters, Ellen and Jessie. He was employed as stationery engine driver on the farm.
12th May 1913 he arrived in Quebec en route to Windthorst, Saskatchewan with brother Job.
30th November 1914 Job and William Willatt of Holme Pierrepont returned to UK.
Service Number: 185398
Military Unit: Royal Field Artillery
Enlisted 11th December 1915, height 5ft 5ins
When he enlisted he was working as a drayman for corn merchant, and he gave his address as Chatsworth Avenue, New Basford.
Military Medal awarded November 1917 (Gazette 23.2.18?)
There are letters from the Nottingham Town Clerk on 21st March 1918 requesting that the Military Medal be forwarded quickly in order that it can be presented in ‘as public a manner as possible’ before William Willatt has to return to the front, then on 6th April stating that it had not arrived before Willatt’s leave expired. It was finally presented on 22nd March 1919 by the Mayor of Nottingham Alderman J.E. Pendleton ‘for taking ammunition to the front line under heavy fire’.
Military Medal, British War and Victory
From the 1939 Register
Address: 19 Bedale Road, Nottingham
Occupation: totally incapacitated for any form of employment owing to back injury
Household: living with wife Edith and step-daughter Jennie, a civil servant working in the clerical office and an air raid precaution warden.
His wife, Edith Hodgkinson, was a widow with a 14 year old daughter, Jennie Annie H Hodgkinson when he married her. He was living on Bedale Road, Sherwood, Nottingham, when he died in June 1945.