FRANCIS HITCHCOCK DUKE 1893–1970
Brother of Frederick H. Duke
Born 24th May 1893 in Nottingham
Baptised 22nd July 1894 St Matthias’ Church, Sneinton. Home address: 32 Crown Street
Married September 3rd 1924 to Lily Agatha Grace Beckett
Died November 1970, age 77
Age 7 and living with father Joseph, 36, born in Somerset and working as an Asylum Attendant, mother Annie Mary born in Sneinton, Nottingham, 32, and brother Fred, 5. They lived at 32 Crown Street, Nottingham
Age 17 employed as a clerk (printers supply) with father Joseph, 46, who was Deputy Head Asylum Attendant, mother Annie Mary 42 who is shown as attendant’s wife and 2 brothers Frederick, 15, who is a clerk in the lace trade and Roland, 5, who is at school. They lived at Notts County Asylum, Saxondale, in the parish of Radcliffe on Trent.
Service Number: 508316
Military Unit: Royal Army Medical Corps
Theatres of War: Western Front (France and Flanders; Italy); Balkans. Date of entry unknown.
Date of enlistment: 1 October 1914
Medical category ‘A’
He served with the 1st City of London Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps in Malta, Salonika, Italy and France.
September 1916 first malaria attack
October 1919 last malaria attack but had numerous relapses and incapacity of 3 days. Often had a slightly enlarged and tender heart.
Pension Awarded of 12s until 9th September 1920
Medals Awarded: no details found, entitled to British War and Victory
He served with the Auxiliary Fire Service during WWII. His wife, Lily Beckett, was living at Rockley Villas, Back Lane, Radcliffe on Trent (1911 Census) with her grandfather John Holland before they were married.
Military Personnel Address on 1918 Electoral Register
Notts. County Asylum, Radcliffe on Trent
From the 1922 Electoral Register
Address: Sydney Grove, Radcliffe on Trent
From the 1939 Register
Address: No. 17 Council Houses, Cliff Crescent, Radcliffe on Trent
Occupation: Newspaper advertising
Household: living with wife Grace.
Reasons for inclusion on the Radcliffe on Trent Roll of Honour
Lived and worked in the parish of Radcliffe on Trent