Project Description

FRANCIS HAROLD PEPPER 1898–1957

s-l500

Born 23rd June 1898 in Radcliffe on Trent

Baptised 27th July 1898 at the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Radcliffe on Trent

Married 7 October 1926 to Gladys Gee at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Radcliffe on Trent. Son Francis born 1935, died 1935.

Died 23 July 1957, age fifty-nine.

1901 Census

Age 2 living at Station Terrace, Radcliffe on Trent, with father Henry 33, bricklayer’s labourer, mother Charlotte 35, sisters Edith A, 5 and Annie E, 9 months

1911 Census

Age 12 living with widowed mother, Charlotte née East, laundress, sister Annie Elizabeth 10, brother Henry Matthew 9 and a boarder Jesse Scoffing at 14 Station Terrace, Radcliffe on Trent.

Military Service

Rank: Private

Service Number: 166179, previously 72213

Military Unit: A/39th (Army) Battalion, Machine Gun Corps, transferred from 16th Bn., The Sherwood Foresters

Theatre of War: France and Flanders

Attested: Jan 1917

Occupation: joiner. Height 5ft 6¼ins. Next of kin mother: Charlotte Pepper

24.8.1917: British Expeditionary Force, France

9.9.1917: Transferred from 16th Bn, The Sherwood Foresters to the Machine Gun Corps

Wounded

20.9.1917: Wounded in action by shell, contusion right leg

21.9.17: from 71st Field Ambulance to no 15 Casualty Clearing Station

14.9.18: Injured. In hospital for a week

28.9.18: Leave

15.10.18: Re-joined battalion

9.11.18: Hospital with influenza until 30.11.1918

Article: The influenza pandemic and its impact on Radcliffe on Trent

1.1.19: Left Boulogne for demobilisation

Medals Awarded: British War and Victory

Military Personnel Address on 1918 Electoral Register

Home address: Albert Road (Street) Radcliffe on Trent

From the 1922 Electoral Register

Address: Station Terrace, Radcliffe on Trent

Household: living with mother Charlotte

From the 1939 Register

Address: Bolton Terrace, Radcliffe on Trent

Occupation: wood machinist

Household: living with wife Gladys.

Reasons for inclusion on Radcliffe on Trent Roll of Honour

Born and lived in Radcliffe on Trent.